Cinnamon Stillwell

I’m the West Coast Representative for Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum that focuses on Middle East studies. I was a political columnist for SFGate.com (San Francisco Chronicle online) from 2004-2008. I've written for the American Thinker, Frontpage Magazine, Family Security Matters, Accuracy In Media, Newsbusters, Israel National News, The Jewish Policy Center, J-The Jewish News Weekly of N. CA, Intellectual Conservative and many others. More info at CinnamonStillwell.com.

Friday, December 05, 2008

R.I.P. Dan Kliman

Earlier this week, I was shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Dan Kliman, 38, who was a founding member of San Francisco Voice for Israel (SFV4I). I knew Dan from my days as a Bay Area pro-America, pro-Israel grassroots activist, which included a year-long stint with SFV4I. Alongside Dan, other SFV4I members, and members of Protest Warrior, I counter-protested the local Israel-haters on many an occasion and it became an integral part of my political education. (Read some of my after-reports here, here, and here).

Dan was dedicated, passionate, and very in-your-face, both as an outspoken Zionist and a gay activist. Indeed, his proud defense of Israel as the lone haven for gays in the Middle East was a wonderful contrast to the confusion of groups such as Queers for Palestine (now ludicrously known as QUIT or Queers Undermining Israeli Terrorism). To make his point, Dan would often hold aloft an Israeli flag and a rainbow flag side-by-side, no doubt causing great cognitive dissonance on the other side. Between Dan and my staunchly pro-Israel, Palestinian-American friend Gus, we helped prove that being pro-Israel need not spring from one's creed nor political affiliation.

The suspicious circumstances surrounding Dan's death (he allegedly fell into an out-of-use elevator shaft in the building where he was taking Arabic classes) are difficult to ignore, particularly since he was a man who did not shy away from making enemies. And among them, no doubt, were those who hated him for being an unapologetic Jewish Zionist. However, the SFPD are maintaining that it was an accident, so for now, we'll have to take a wait and see approach. (Go to Zomblog for a round-up of links on the case and a photo tribute).

Whatever the case, Dan Kliman will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous GM Roper said...

Very nicely said Cinnamon. As a straight man with a gay brother-in-law whom I love dearly, I can honestly say that I do not understand those who support both the Gay community AND terrorism from the islamists. Dan Kliman was a passionate defender of gay rights and Israel and as you noted, he will be sorely missed.

Friday, December 05, 2008 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

R.I.P....

Monday, December 08, 2008 8:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home