Cinnamon Stillwell

I’m the West Coast Representative for Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum that focuses on Middle East studies. I was a political columnist for (San Francisco Chronicle online) from 2004-2008. I've written for the American Thinker, Frontpage Magazine, Family Security Matters, Accuracy In Media, Newsbusters, Israel National News, The Jewish Policy Center, J-The Jewish News Weekly of N. CA, Intellectual Conservative and many others. More info at

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Mumbai Atrocities: Where is the Outrage?

In my latest SFGate column, I bemoan the indifference with which the horrific attack on Mumbai was met, as well as the complacency towards Islamism that seems to be on the rise. Here are the opening paragraphs:
It was often said after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that everything had changed. And for a few years afterwards, indeed it had. After decades of denial, America and its allies went on the offensive against Islamic terrorism, both militarily and morally. Most importantly, there was no hesitancy to name the enemy or to condemn his inhumanity.

But if the lack of outrage over the Islamic terrorist assault on Mumbai, India last month was any indication, everything has changed back.
Continue reading "The Mumbai Atrocities: Where is the Outrage?"

Update: Two earlier columns that strongly reflect my thoughts on this subject are Steven Emerson's "They're Winning" and Daniel Pipes' (with whom I work) "Still Asleep After Mumbai."


Blogger brenda cox giguere said...

Thank you for saying something about this with such eloquence. There is a serious disconnect in our country today-- a kind of ennui or indifference almost at the level of pathology.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

Sad to say but Mumbai is a long way from the West and the United States. It was a terrible calamity.And other issues are (to a lot of people) more pressing just now.g. the economy.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:37:00 AM  
Anonymous carol fuller said...


Though I personally was untouched and live a thousand miles away from NY and D.C. I was emotionally wounded by the attacks of Nine Eleven, and Mumbai has re-opend the wounds. I became obsessed with why the attacks happened. To treat my pain I embarked on a very long study of economic history and economic conditions of Muslims. Finally this year I published "The Muslim Economic Trap," published by Beaver's Pond Press. (See I learned that Muslim beliefs and customs handicap them in the creation and long-term growth of business enterprises, and no economically independent middle class grows to challenge tyrannical rulers. Hence frustration on the part of young men. Hence terrorism.

As to economic history, I did not find an economic history of Islam, so wrote a summary of that which opens the book. I also explore the thinking of terrorists.

Carol Fuller

Friday, January 02, 2009 11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home