Cinnamon Stillwell

I’m the West Coast Representative for Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum that focuses on Middle East studies. I was a political columnist for (San Francisco Chronicle online) from 2004-2008. I've written for the American Thinker, Frontpage Magazine, Family Security Matters, Accuracy In Media, Newsbusters, Israel National News, The Jewish Policy Center, J-The Jewish News Weekly of N. CA, Intellectual Conservative and many others. More info at

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Secular Islam Summit: The Next Islamic Enlightenment?

Having expressed the need for an Islamic reformation (or whatever its equivalent) on many occasions, I was pleased to hear about the Secular Islam Summit taking place this upcoming March 4-5 in St. Petersburg, Florida. The summit is in fact billed as the beginning of the "next Islamic Enlightenment" and according to the website:
Delegates from Egypt, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and elsewhere will address secularist interpretations of Islam, the need for Koranic
criticism, the state of freedom of the expression in Muslim societies, educational reform.
Speakers include many of the figures I've referenced in my columns, including Wafa Sultan, Ibn Warraq, Nonie Darwish, Amir Taheri, Walid Phares and Irshad Manjii. The summit was announced by Manjii during a riveting one-hour special with CNN Headline News' Glenn Beck, who's going to be covering the event.

On the optimistic side, I sincerely hope this will herald the beginning of a much-needed shift in thinking in the Islamic world. On the cynical side, I sincerely hope they have good security. Because, sadly, they're going to need it.

In any case, I'll certainly be tuning in and I hope others will do the same.

Cross-posted at Kesher Talk.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you are correct about islam needing a reformation. I also believe that I would not stand to close to any of these muslims as they willbe branded apostates.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:22:00 PM  
Anonymous jeremayakovka said...

Needs a revolution.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent choice using the racist, inflammatory neanderthal Beck to lead the group. Wow. Maybe David Duke can mediate a debate on improving the African American community?

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger diurnalist said...

It's nice that Anonymous is quite happy with the status quo when it comes to reforming Islam.

I guess if you agree with killing and mutilating women for your religion, everything is just hunky dory.

Good to see where you're coming from.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Paul said...

I really doubt that a reformation can take place within Islam. I just do not see it happening. The religion has taken on a decidedly fascist, monolithic persona. The fanatics dictate what goes on.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:27:00 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Diurnalist - I don't think they restrict themselves to women when it comes to killings or amputations or whatever. If you meant genital mutilation then Muslims don't do that to women (at least, they don't do it as part of Islam - it's a tribal thing rather than a religious one). They mutilate their males of course, but then so do Jews.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home