Cinnamon Stillwell

I’m the West Coast Representative for Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum that focuses on Middle East studies. I was a political columnist for (San Francisco Chronicle online) from 2004-2008. I've written for the American Thinker, Frontpage Magazine, Family Security Matters, Accuracy In Media, Newsbusters, Israel National News, The Jewish Policy Center, J-The Jewish News Weekly of N. CA, Intellectual Conservative and many others. More info at

Friday, December 22, 2006

Anti-Semites In Denial

I often hear from readers claiming to be "anti-Zionist" but not anti-Semitic. And I'm not buying it.

Recently, someone wrote and asked me to explain how one can be separated from the other and I couldn't resist a brief response:
Question: How can someone be critical of the state of Israel and the Zionist/Likud /Neocons without being accused of anti-Semitism?

Answer: He can't. The modern day obsession with Israel as the root of all evil in the world is so off the mark that it can have no other basis except anti-Semitism. Adherents to this line of thought can try to tell themselves otherwise, but years of propaganda by those who truly do hate Jews has made its mark and now they're spouting the same talking points. When they are as outraged by the actions of other countries as they are the Jewish state, then I'll believe otherwise. But pigs will probably have to fly first.

If this message is in regards to yourself, my advice would be to dispense with all you think you know about the history of the Mideast conflict and start over. Joan Peters' book "From Time Immemorial" is an excellent start.
If there are any other anti-Semites in denial out there, this advice is for you too.

As for me, I'm thinking it might be time to start a "Dear Cinnamon (Abbey)" feature...


Blogger poetic_edda said...

I'm not buying it either. Maybe people are confused.
Cinnamon, I think your columns are great. The first I read of you was back in 2005 shortly after the London transit bombings and you wrote a terrific piece on Chron Watch about the conspiracy theory people being at it again.
Keep up the good work.
Happy New Year.

Friday, December 29, 2006 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home