Cinnamon Stillwell

I’m the West Coast Representative for Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum that focuses on Middle East studies. I was a political columnist for (San Francisco Chronicle online) from 2004-2008. I've written for the American Thinker, Frontpage Magazine, Family Security Matters, Accuracy In Media, Newsbusters, Israel National News, The Jewish Policy Center, J-The Jewish News Weekly of N. CA, Intellectual Conservative and many others. More info at

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

By Way of Introduction…

The time has come. After much hemming and hawing, I’ve decided to start my own blog.

I don’t promise to commit 24-hours a day to the undertaking, but I certainly plan on chiming in with my two cents whenever possible.

My primary writing niche is not that of blogger, but rather political columnist for (The San Francisco Chronicle online), and others. But I like to think of myself as something of a columnist/blogger. I use a lot of links in my articles, many of them originating from the blogosphere and I often rub shoulders with bloggers in my political travels. And lest it be thought that I’m completely green, I’ve established some blogging bona fides at both and

Readers may be familiar with my post-9/11 political conversion story and if not, it can be read about here, here, here and here. Suffice to say, I’m just one of many Americans who was shaken out of my complacency by the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and in the aftermath, made a political shift from left to right.

By providing backhanded and sometimes outright support to a regressive and totalitarian ideology in the wake of 9/11, too many liberals betrayed their self-professed principles of promoting human rights and social justice. Anything to remain in the anti-American camp. But the enemy of one’s enemy is not always one’s friend – and that’s certainly the case when it comes to Islamism. Conversely, by throwing in my lot with the truly progressive party in the current conflict, the United States and by extension, western civilization, I felt that I was remaining steadfast to my classical liberal roots.

As Ronald Reagan once said about his own political shift, "I didn’t leave the Democratic Party of FDR. The Democratic Party left me." In my own case, I didn’t so much leave the left as the left left me (try saying that fast three times in a row!). Since that time, my political focus has become more ideological than partisan, but I generally lean Republican.

Of course, all this has made me something of a political misfit, particularly in the leftist stronghold of San Francisco, where I reside. Inspired by The Liberal Hawks, a New York-based online discussion group started by Kesher Talk blogger Judith Weiss, and seeking out likeminded company, I formed my own group based in the Bay Area, The 9/11 Neocons.

The term "Neocons" has taken on many sinister connotations (to hear the Moonbats tell it), the majority of which I proudly ally myself with. Yes, I’m Jewish and yes, I support a muscular U.S. foreign policy. But I think the most apt definition in terms of the bulk of 9/11 Neocon members, including myself, is literal. As a reader recently pointed out, "neo" means new, so a "Neocon" is literally a new conservative. Nonetheless, the group’s politics cover a lot of territory and I like to think that we offer a pretty wide tent. Unlike the totalitarian impulses of the left, we actually tolerate dissent.

I also like to think of both The 9/11 Neocons and The Liberal Hawks as representative of an emerging political movement. The impact of this movement is still filtering throughout American society, but something tells me it will be felt for years to come.

Such is the perspective I bring to the blogosphere and it's one that I hope that readers will find valuable. I look forward to joining the conversation...

Slightly different version cross-posted at Kesher Talk.


Blogger Carolyn said...


This is great that you've joined the Blog world! Congratulations!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

I'll update my blogroll forthwith.....

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:36:00 PM  
Blogger neo-neocon said...

Welcome! I think I should be an honorary member :-).

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogoshpere, Cinnamon. Good start so far.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Cinnamon said...

Thanks all! Aren't we just the mutual admiration society? :-)

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Fern R said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I found your blog via Kesher Talk and look forward to reading what you have to say.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:17:00 AM  
Blogger Fern R said...

I just added your RSS feed to my feedreader and I am your first subscriber. How exciting! ;-)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:20:00 AM  
Blogger Asher Abrams said...

Yaaay! Welcome Cinnamon.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Libertas said...


Great blog, and welcome to the blogasphere!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home